You may have heard of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, but perhaps you didn’t know that Yorkshire has its very own “Great Yorkshire Fringe Festival”, filled with comics, acts and entertainment from the 15 July-August 1st. Of course our lovely city of York is hosting the event again this year!
This year there is an even better line up of world famous comedians acting and putting on shows all around York. Of particular note are:
- Sh*t Faced Shakespeare: 30-31 July 2016– Love Shakespeare? Love comedy? Love a beer or two and for things to go wrong? Well then this show is one for you. With one actor or actress from their troop drinking heavily before hand, and then the whole cast attempting to perform a Shakespeare play within an hour or so, things are sure to go wrong. Previous shows have included power tools, trumpets and one too many rude words. This is definitely one not to be missed!
- Paul Foot: Tis A Pity She’s a Piglet- 30 July 2016– Famous for his mullet and metallic jackets, Paul Foot has featured on numerous comedic TV shows such as Mock the Week, and is again a man not to be missed!
- Einen Evieningen Mit Das Henning Wehn: 28-30 July 2016– Known for his German stereotypes and one who’s not afraid to joke about his homeland, Henning Wehn is a regular on shows such as 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. Expect perfect comedic timing and bursts of uncontrollable laughter.
- Harriet Dyer: “We’d Prefer Someone A Bit More Mainstream”: 18 July 2016– Controversial, termed “a breadth of fresh air” and guaranteed to make you laugh out loud, what’s not intriguing about a women with many voices inside her head?
- Love in the Time of Gilmore Girls: 26-27 July 2016– Given four stars by the British Theatre Guide, James Westow Miller’s play followings his wonderings of love and his out of luck experiences. Is it possible that watching Gilmore Girls is affecting his relationships? Watch to find out!
- Showstopper: The Improvised Musical: 23 July 2016– already a West End success, this musical changes with impromptu songs and suggestions from the audience. Love musicals? Love comedy? This one is for you!
- The Funny Brothers: The Pre-Reality Tour: 30 July 2016– A show where there are no rules, and a lot of winky faces, this one is sure to be a hilarious and funny experience.
- The Arts Barge Project Presents…The Great Yorkshire Swing!: 18 July 2016– Back by popular demand, The White Rose Rotunda hosts a 1940s night to remember, make sure to bring along your 1940’s attire and help raise money for The Art Barge Project
- Curtis Eller’s American Circus: 30-31 July 2016- Known as an “angry yodelling banjo player” who’s influences include Elvis Presley and Abraham Lincoln, Curtis Eller and his bands’ mix of 19th century American history and music is sure to intrigue!
- Baby Loves Disco: 17 July 2016- An event for parents to enjoy with their toddlers and babies, this music event highlights the family orientation of the Great Yorkshire Fringe Festival
- The Great Yorkshire Free Fringe Presents Scarlet SoHandsome and Fiends: 18 July 2016- Making her Great Fringe debut, with support from some of the Fringe’s greatest acts, Scarlett SoHandsome is a mix of comedy and showbiz, having worked with some of the biggest names in drag to date, she is surely one not to be missed!
- The Amazing Bubble Show: 28-31 July 2016- Showcasing bubble tricks for the last 30 years, Louis Pearl puts on a spectacular show, expect audience participation and to be thoroughly amazed!
- West End Magic Presents: Magic Workshops for Children: 22-24 July 2016- Fun for all the family, this event teaches children aged 7-13 all they need to know about starting magic. This show allows children to learn some nifty tips and tricks, and is sure to get creativity and confidence flowing.
Alongside these events, there are plenty of events for the whole family to enjoy, which you can check out here. The Great Yorkshire Fringe has also just announced its first dog show, truly allowing every member of your family, even the four-legged ones to enjoy! To find out more about the festival, and to buy tickets, head over to their website by following the link here.